With the rapid growth of urbanization, more and more people are turning towards solar home setups and off grid power systems for their day to day requirement. Some commercial and industrial spaces are also looking towards moving towards off-grid systems.
Since the commercialization of solar panels, solar energy harvesting has become a widely accepted practice as solar energy is green and easier to harvest. The issue with solar systems, however, is that they’re good as long as the sun is present. This hurdle is overcome by using specialized batteries that help store the energy so that it can be later used when the sun is down.
Deep cycle batteries are an excellent choice for this purpose and a good battery is a crucial element in any solar setup. In this article, we’ll try to discuss everything there is to know about solar systems and look at some really good and best deep cycle batteries for solar for you if you’re considering buying one for your solar setup.
Why a different battery for solar?
Theoretically, any deep cycle battery would work just fine with a solar setup. But ideally, you’d want a battery with very high efficiency. Since a lot of power is lost with ordinary batteries that are meant for general-purpose deep cycle applications, solar batteries are specifically made keeping in mind the power needs of general solar setups and the efficiency they require.
Inefficient batteries may cause a lot of problems in the long run as you’ll lose a significant amount of power and may even require additional batteries. Solar batteries tend to be priced a bit higher than regular deep cycle batteries with poorer efficiency but they’ll be a really good investment in the long run. Good solar batteries have great battery lives and ideally are maintenance-free.
9 Best Deep Cycle Battery for Solar Purpose
1. Weize 12V 100AH Deep Cycle AGM Battery for Solar System
This is an excellent lead acid battery for a solar system. The 100Ah capacity is the most generic capacity that solar batteries have. The sealed AGM technology makes the battery easy to use.
It has a great battery life and is very simple to install and use. The battery is reasonably priced for the quality it provides and is surely a good deal. The battery does not have a good cranking power though, but you shouldn’t need that anyway if you’re looking for a solar battery.
Additionally, the battery comes with a 30 day refund policy and 1 year warranty for added safety.
2. Vmaxtanks VMAXSLR125 AGM 12V 125Ah SLA Rechargeable Deep Cycle Battery
If you’re looking for a powerful battery for bigger systems, you can have this 125AH battery for a very reasonable price. The SLR125 is a very reputed battery and a lot of customers have a very good review.
This battery is also based on AGM technology and thus is maintenance-free. The battery assures a float lifespan of almost 8-10 years. You can easily expect it to work for 5 years without any trouble even in the worst cases.
When bought from an authorised dealer, the battery comes with a 12 month warranty for added protection. The battery however, is somewhat expensive and if you have a smaller system, you can look for cheaper options.
3. Universal Power Group 12V 100Ah Solar Wind Deep Cycle Battery
Universal is a renowned brand when it comes to deep cycle batteries. The batteries are very durable and based on AGM technology. The battery can be mounted in any position as the batteries are spill-proof. Proper use should give you a battery life of anywhere between 3-5 years of service at least. Possibly even more. The user reviews of the battery are great.
The AGM technology is also very good for solar purposes. However, there might be little inefficiency in the round-trip cycle.
The battery is rated at a 100Ah, which is perfect for most applications. You can pair them up with other batteries of the same type and get a higher voltage or more capacity battery according to your setup.
4. Mighty Max Battery ML35-12 – 12V 35AH U1 Deep Cycle Solar Battery
If you do not have heavy power needs and have a small setup, this could be the best battery for you. The battery is rated at only 35ah and is a good option for all small solar setups. The battery is also very affordable and transportable.
If you have a mobile setup, this battery can come in handy. But if you need a higher capacity, this battery may not be the eBay choice. This battery is perfect for systems that need low power and quick recharging.
The battery is based on AGM technology and is completely maintenance free. Mighty Max is a very reliable brand and you can surely get this battery if it fits your criteria.
5. Renogy Deep Cycle AGM Battery for RV, Solar and Marine
Performance in harsh conditions can be a serious issue for most deep cycle batteries. This deep cycle battery is perfect for you if you live in a cold place. This battery has great anti-freezing properties and shelf life that gives it extra durability and battery life.
This battery is also rated at a 100Ah, like most of the other products on our list and features a AGM battery type and thus is maintenance free and spill proof.
The battery also has high discharge currents that are optimal for high power applications. The battery can operate at a wide range of temperatures and is surely a sound investment.
The battery also comes in a 200Ah variant so you can look into that too if you want more power.
6. Battle Born LiFePO4 Deep Cycle Battery
If efficiency is what you seek, this is the best battery for you. With a capacity of 100Ah and a round-trip efficiency of almost 95%, this battery will make sure you have the best out of your solar panels. What’s better is that the battery even comes with a built-in BMS so that you don’t have to worry about additional electronics.
Li-Ion batteries are better than Lead Acid batteries in terms of performance and one of the best choices for solar systems where efficiency is key. The battery is also sealed and leak-proof, meaning you can mount in any position without worrying about performance.
Additionally, the battery is also very compact and lightweight and comes with a 10 year warranty.
7. ExpertPower 12v 33ah Rechargeable Deep Cycle Battery
Another battery perfect for small, mobile setups, this battery is rated at a 33Ah only and is a cheap option if you are not looking for something too powerful. This battery is based on a sealed Lead-acid AGM technology. The battery is very compact and durable and has high mobility.
This battery is mostly optimal for solar setups in RVSs or mobile homes. They will work amazingly with comparatively smaller panels as they can charge very quickly.
8. WindyNation 100 amp-Hour 100AH 12V 12 Volt AGM Deep Cycle Sealed Lead Acid Battery
WindyNation is known for making awesome deep cycle batteries with very high performance. If you’re looking for a battery with excellent durability nad performance, this might be the one for you.
The battery is an AGM battery meaning that no maintenance is required, moreover, you can mount it any way you want. If you need multiple batteries, then you can surely consider this as this comes with offers if you buy multiple units.
The battery also comes with a 1 year warranty for added security.
9. Trojan L16RE-2V Renewable Energy 2V Deep Cycle Battery
If you’re looking for amazing capacity, this might just be the battery for you. Do not get any wrong ideas from the 2V rating. This battery is an absolute powerhouse with a rating of 1110AH which is way more than any battery on our list. 6 of these batteries in series and you have yourself a 12V 1100 AH battery.
The only drawback with this battery is that this is a flooded lead-acid battery and will require decent maintenance. However, this battery can be a good fit for stationary systems as they do not require much vibration resistance. If maintenance is not an issue for you, you can definitely look into buying this battery.
How to choose the Best Deep Cycle Battery for Solar?
To get the best out of any solar power storage setup, it is important to optimize the battery that you use. There are a lot of options in the market but there are some key features that you must look for in a battery before you actually buy it for your solar setup. An inefficient and incompatible battery can cause issues both financially and in terms of performance.
Look for these specifications before buying a solar battery and make sure that you get the best combination possible for the best result.
This is an important factor and will depend on the overall power requirement for your system. The capacity of deep cycle batteries are generally rated in Amp-Hours. For a decent small scale setup, a battery of at least 100Ah is recommended. You can go even below that if you see fit.
The issue is that batteries with higher capacities are relatively more expensive. If you have heavy power requirements, consider buying multiple affordable batteries and chaining them up to get your required power capacity. Another thing to keep in mind is that the more capacity the battery has, the longer it will take to charge. Deeply discharging batteries can affect theory battery lives greatly and you should ideally try to keep them well-charged. If you cannot have a huge amount of solar panels to accompany your battery, try refraining from buying batteries that have massive capacities.
It is a good idea to calculate your overall power needs before you purchase batteries. Finding the right combination can save you a lot of trouble and money.
Depth of discharge
The specialty of deep cycle batteries is that they can be deeply discharged, sometimes even up to 80% and they still work. However, discharging a battery too deeply is not recommended. It can greatly affect battery life.
Before buying a battery, check how deeply you can discharge the battery without having any consequences. Ideally, you would not want to discharge the battery too much anyway, but following this step would prepare you for worst-case scenarios which as a result will help you prolong your expected battery life greatly.
Deep cycle batteries generally have a battery life form anywhere between 3-5 years and 10-12 years. Naturally, batteries with shorter lifespans are much more affordable but having a battery with good battery life is always a good idea. Cheaper batteries are sometimes unreliable and having a good battery life is always an excellent thing. They may be a bit expensive to set up but they pretty much pay for themselves if you consider their performance in the long run.
When you’re harvesting and storing energy, efficiency becomes a massive concern. The efficiency of deep cycle batteries is measured by something called round-trip efficiency. It is measured as a percentage of the power it took to charge the battery to the power the battery outputs. The best in terms of efficiency are lithium-ion batteries that offer up to 98% efficiency. Lead-acid batteries only provide as much as 80%.
Deep cycle batteries are of different types and the better the efficiency, the more expensive the battery is.
While buying a battery, always make sure that you get a proper warranty. Batteries run on chemical reactions and some errors during production may ruin the battery. A warranty protects you against such mishaps and makes sure your money is safe and insured.
Warranties can be voided however and you must always take care of the terms and conditions so that you don’t unintentionally void the warranty somehow.
All good brands provide decent warranties with their products. Batteries with good warranties tend to have long battery lives in general and are an excellent item to expend some money on.
Different Types of Solar Battery
First of all, check out in the following video which solar battery types exist:
Naturally, over the evolution of technology, different battery types have emerged with different advantages and disadvantages. Let’s have a look at some of them and try to understand which one will be the best for you.
Lead Acid Batteries
They’re probably the most popular types of batteries out there. Lead Acid Batteries are found in most automobiles. With the new AGM technology, they;re rapidly taking over the market and for valid reasons. They are easy to install and use.
Lead acid batteries generally have great battery life, depending on the brand and capacity, etc. and are widely used in solar power setups. They are often cheap and affordable and one of the go-to solutions when you’re thinking about solar batteries.
Lithium Ion batteries
Lithium Ion batteries are also a viable option for solar batteries. They offer way higher efficiency than Lead Acid batteries. Although, there are also some serious drawbacks to using Li-Ion batteries. They tend to be more expensive than Lead Acid Batteries. They also need special battery management systems to perform properly and balanced charging. All these accessories are not necessary with Lead Acid batteries.
If efficiency is a factor for you, you can surely go with Li-Ion batteries.
Last but not least, NiCad batteries are also sometimes used in solar system setups. But the drawback with them is that they tend to be expensive and also not very efficient. But the key features are the slow self-discharge rates. The batteries have great shelf-life and are excellent batteries for emergency situations. They are also freeze-resistant to some extent and can function flawlessly in cold temperatures.
Benefits of Solar Deep Cycle Battery
If you’re still not convinced that you need to carefully pick your batteries for your solar system, maybe these benefits will help you change your mind:
- Using solar batteries can help you save a lot of electricity bills.
- They are eco-friendly.
- Proper batteries can help you optimize the power from your panels thus lowering installation costs.
- Good batteries have a great battery life that is very useful.
Best Solar Deep Cycle Battery for Solar FAQs
Why use a deep cycle battery for solar?
How many solar panels does it take to charge a 100ah battery?
How long will a 100w solar panel take to charge a 100ah battery?
What size solar panel do I need to charge a 110ah battery?
A lot of good options are available in the market and thus the question really boils down to your exact requirements. Try to find a battery that fits your specific requirements and is the most efficient. With all the options available in the market, hopefully, this article has helped you find out the best one for you and know everything there is to know before you buy yourself a battery.
Check out these options available on today’s market:
- 2000 Charging Cycles - Lead-acid batteries last 100-300 cycles is a lot more typical while lithium-iron batteries will go 2000 cycles with no problem. If being used daily, an AGM will need to be...
- Flat Discharge - LiFePO4 technology gives a very flat discharge curve which means sustained power to the end of the cycle. If you are powering lights they will remain brighter for longer, giving you...
- Robust ABS Casing & Soft Grip Texture - The non slip soft grip rubber provides excellent grip. While the ABS construction provides excellent impact resistance and toughness. Also just 1/3 of the...
- Specification - Voltage: 12v; Amp: 16Ah; Dimension: 5.94*3.9*3.7inches (L/W/H); Weight: 1.8kg/3.97lbs, Terminal: F2.
- What You Get - 1 * Miady 12V 16Ah Lithium Iron Phosphate Battery and 18 months hassle-free warranty. 24*7 friendly and professional customer supports. (Battery charger is not included, please use...
- Interstate Batteries Deep-Cycle mobility product, our DCM0100 Replacement battery fits many top wheelchair and electric scooter brands and more. This product is not a replacement for golf cart...
- Rechargeable, 12v 110ah AGM battery, Maintenance-free and spill proof because of the AGM & VRLA (valve regulated) technology that eliminates spills and overpressure
- Professional-grade quality product developed specifically for wheelchairs and scooters. Long life for deep discharge usage. The best performer for heavy demand mobility, wheelchairs, 12v 110ah marine...
- 12v 110ah deep cycle marine battery. Dimensions: 12. 99 inches (L) x 6. 81 inches (W) x 8. 35 inches (H) Terminal: INSERT W/BOLT REPLACES FLAG TY. Fit type: Universal Fit. Works with 12v 100ah battery...
- Deep Cycle battery 12v from Interstate Batteries. Power your performance with the right choice in rechargeable Sealed Lead Acid (SLA) batteries for your business applications. Constant, long-lasting...
- 【Automotive Grade Lithium Battery】Ampere Time lithium iron batteries have exceptional quality since they are manufactured by Automotive Grade LiFePO4 Cells with higher energy density, more stable...
- 【10 Years lifetime】Ampere Time LiFePO4 battery provides 4000+ cycles (10 times longer) & a 10-year lifetime compared to 200~500 cycles & a 3-year lifetime in lead acid battery.
- 【1/3* Lightweight】Ampere Time LiFePO4 Battery Weighting only 25.35 lbs for one module, it’s weighs only 1/3* the weight of lead acid batteries. LiFePO4 battery is 50% lighter than lead acid...
- 【95%* Efficiency】Ampere Time LiFePO4 battery’s flat discharge curve holds above 12.8V for up to 95%* of its capacity usage, providing astronomical boosts in run-time compared to only 50% in Lead...
- 【100% Protection & Delivery】Ampere Time LiFePO4 battery has built-in BMS to protect it from overcharge, over-discharge, overcurrent, and short circuit with excellent self-discharge rate. Operating...
- LiFePO4: ExpertPower’s newest line of batteries – The No.1 Sealed Lead Acid Battery Seller on Amazon.
- Longer Service Life: Our LiFePO4 battery provides 2500 - 7000 cycles & a 10 years lifetime compared to 200 - 500 cycles & a 3 years lifetime in typical Lead Acid chemistry.
- Efficient Power: Our LiFePO4 battery’s flat discharge curve holds above 12V for up to 95% of its capacity usage providing astronomical boosts in run-time compared to only 50% in Lead Acid.
- Impeccably Lightweight: Our LiFePO4 battery is only a 1/3 of the weight of Lead Acid which makes it the disputable choice for RVs, Marine and Off-Grid Applications when towing or mobility is in the...
- Complete Protection: The lithium battery’s unique built-in Battery Management System (BMS) protects it from overcharge, deep discharge, overloading, overheating and short circuit, and excessive low...
- 【Value for money】: LOSSIGY's lithium iron phosphate batteries have excellent 2000~5000 cycles and up to 10 years service life. Compared with AGM / SLA batteries on the market, our batteries have...
- 【Lightweight】: Weighting only 46 lbs for one module, our 12V200Ah battery weighs in at only 1/3 the weight of AGM/SLA batteries! It doesn't contain any heavy metals and rare metals, no pollution.
- 【Excellent safety】:All types of batteries produced by LOSSIGY can be used in series or in parallel, and will not overheat not burn not explode under high temperature or overcharge. The built-in...
- 【Wide Applications】: As such an excellent lithium battery, you can safely install it in any position. Such as Marine, RV, Campers, Golf cart, Medical devices, Electric mobility scooter, Off-road,...
- 【What You Get】: 12V200Ah Lifepo4 battery, Positive and negative wiring, Two Extra Removable M8 Bolt Battery terminals, Product parameter guide, and our 5 years worry-free warranty and friendly...
- CERTIFICATION - ISO9001, ISO14001, CE, and UL Certified
- BATTERY TYPE - 12V 100 Amp NPD12 100Ah Rechargeable Deep Cycle AGM Battery With Button Style Terminals
- APPLICATION - Alarm System, Emergency Lighting System, Firefighting Equipment, Standby Power Supply and Telephone Switching System, Uninterrupted Power Supply, Telecommunication System, Computer...
- RUGGED DESIGN - The battery case is made from a Non-Conductive ABS plastic, Strong Resistance to Shock, Vibration, Chemicals, Weather and Heat. Very easy to install and requires no maintenance.
- 100% SATISFACTION GUARANTEED: We back all our batteries with our 30 DAY MONEY BACK GUARANTEE and our 1 year manufacturer defect warranty. Please see warranty details at product description.
Read Also: Best Solar Car Battery Charger